SODUS, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities are continuing to search for a 14-month-old boy whose mother’s body was found in western New York.
But Wayne County Sheriff Barry Virts noted Monday it would be very difficult for a child so young to sustain himself.
Virts says searchers are proceeding with the awareness that little Owen Hidalgo-Calderon might not be alive, but they hope he is.
Over 170 people combed a 350-acre (142-hectare) farm in the town of Sodus on Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Space station discarded some trash. It rained fire in California's sky WATCH
- Ship owned by U.S. Navy tips over at Edinburgh port, injuring dozens
- Idaho hospital to stop delivering babies, partly due to 'political climate'
- 2 people dig out of jail with toothbrush, get caught at IHOP, officials say
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Owen has been missing since May 16. His 18-year-old mother, Selena Hidalgo-Calderon, was found dead Wednesday on the farm where she and her boyfriend worked.
The 25-year-old boyfriend was arrested Wednesday on evidence-tampering charges. Virts says Reyes admitted burying the mother but not killing her.
Reyes is due in court Tuesday.