SIDNEY, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say the body of a 6-year-old boy reportedly swept away in a western Ohio creek has been recovered.
Shelby County sheriff’s deputies say the body was found in the creek Monday about two miles from where the boy disappeared Sunday. Authorities didn’t immediately release the child’s name.
Dozens of searchers with boats and a helicopter with an infrared scanner had looked for the boy after he was reported missing Sunday evening east of Sidney, roughly 60 miles (97 kilometers) northeast of Columbus. The search was halted in the overnight darkness but resumed Monday morning.
Deputies have said the boy was playing with at least one other child along Mosquito Creek and reportedly fell in the water after a portion of ground gave way beneath him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle