SIDNEY, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say the body of a 6-year-old boy reportedly swept away in a western Ohio creek has been recovered.
Shelby County sheriff’s deputies say the body was found in the creek Monday about two miles from where the boy disappeared Sunday. Authorities didn’t immediately release the child’s name.
Dozens of searchers with boats and a helicopter with an infrared scanner had looked for the boy after he was reported missing Sunday evening east of Sidney, roughly 60 miles (97 kilometers) northeast of Columbus. The search was halted in the overnight darkness but resumed Monday morning.
Deputies have said the boy was playing with at least one other child along Mosquito Creek and reportedly fell in the water after a portion of ground gave way beneath him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine