LEXINGTON, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina school board member who is accused of posting offensive comments on social media about black people has resigned.
WIS-TV reports that screenshots of Facebook comments made by an account associated with Grady V. Harmon may have been why he resigned from the Lexington County School District One Board of Trustees. The screenshots included disparaging comments regarding the socio-economic status, intellect, and criminal background of African Americans.
The district said in a statement that it became aware Sunday of social media remarks by Harmon and officials were “deeply offended” by them. The district says officials met with Harmon on Monday and he submitted a resignation letter.
WIS-TV’s attempts to contact Harmon were unsuccessful.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- The coming California megastorm
Information from: WIS-TV, http://www.wistv.com