FITCHBURG, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts elementary school will be closed this week after a pipe burst over the holiday break and damaged ceiling tiles that contained asbestos.
Fitchburg Superintendent Andre Ravenelle says the closure of Crocker Elementary School will allow the district to plan for a temporary relocation of students and staff.
A statement from Ravenelle says the district is working with the appropriate agencies and experts on cleaning, remediation and testing.
Students were supposed to return to class Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Americans, Canadians are warned not to eat romaine lettuce VIEW
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie