FITCHBURG, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts elementary school will be closed this week after a pipe burst over the holiday break and damaged ceiling tiles that contained asbestos.
Fitchburg Superintendent Andre Ravenelle says the closure of Crocker Elementary School will allow the district to plan for a temporary relocation of students and staff.
A statement from Ravenelle says the district is working with the appropriate agencies and experts on cleaning, remediation and testing.
Students were supposed to return to class Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH