KIRYAS JOEL, N.Y. (AP) — State police say a 6-year-old Brooklyn girl has died after being struck by a school bus in an upstate New York village.
Police say a Kiryas Joel School District bus let several children off around 11:15 a.m. Friday. One girl started toward the sidewalk, then abruptly turned back and starting crossing the street in front of the bus. The driver didn’t see her change direction, and she was struck by the front bumper.
The child, Lea Mezzi of Brooklyn, was pronounced dead at the scene.
School Superintendent Joel Petlin said the driver was a contracted driver who had a clean record and many years of experience.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
Kiryas Joel is a Hasidic Jewish village 50 miles northwest of New York City, populated largely by people who migrated from Brooklyn.