KIRYAS JOEL, N.Y. (AP) — State police say a 6-year-old Brooklyn girl has died after being struck by a school bus in an upstate New York village.
Police say a Kiryas Joel School District bus let several children off around 11:15 a.m. Friday. One girl started toward the sidewalk, then abruptly turned back and starting crossing the street in front of the bus. The driver didn’t see her change direction, and she was struck by the front bumper.
The child, Lea Mezzi of Brooklyn, was pronounced dead at the scene.
School Superintendent Joel Petlin said the driver was a contracted driver who had a clean record and many years of experience.
Most Read Stories
- With work permits in limbo, spouses of H-1B visa holders worry they’ll lose jobs
- Seattle police fatally shoot man near Ravenna Park
- King County Republican chair criticized after telling gun-control advocate 'Do not ever contact me again'
- Man who accused Ed Murray of sexual abuse found dead in Auburn motel WATCH
- Crashes involving 25 vehicles shut down snow-slicked I-90
Kiryas Joel is a Hasidic Jewish village 50 miles northwest of New York City, populated largely by people who migrated from Brooklyn.