Two wanted al-Qaida militants were among 10 extremists killed in clashes with police during a double suicide car bombing in the Saudi capital, officials said yesterday, portraying...
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Two wanted al-Qaida militants were among 10 extremists killed in clashes with police during a double suicide car bombing in the Saudi capital, officials said yesterday, portraying the attack as a plot that was wrecked by the earlier capture of a militant.
The car bombs exploded Wednesday night in the Saudi capital, targeting the Interior Ministry and a recruiting center for the kingdom’s anti-terrorism forces.
But the vehicles were unable to get close to their targets and the blasts killed only the three suicide bombers, said a ministry spokesman, Brig. Gen. Mansour al-Turki. Seventeen security officers and several bystanders were wounded. Saudi TV had reported the blast outside the ministry killed a passing limousine driver, but al-Turki said he was only wounded.
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
Al-Turki said the plotters had to carry out the bombings earlier than they had intended because a militant was captured after a shootout in Riyadh a day earlier.
“It is for sure that the terrorist operation was executed hastily,” he said. “It seemed to be programmed to be executed at a different time and in a different fashion.”
Ten militants were killed in two gunbattles Wednesday — three of them just before the bombs went off, then seven who were tracked to a Riyadh hideout soon after the blasts, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
Among those killed were a top al-Qaida operative in Saudi Arabia, Sultan al-Otaibi, and Bandar bin Abdel Rahman al-Dikheel — both of them Saudis on a list issued last December of most-wanted militants, the ministry said.