PLACITAS, N.M. (AP) — Police in New Mexico say a 68-year-old woman died after a Sandoval County Sheriff’s deputy backed his truck into her and ran her over.
The incident happened on Thursday afternoon when the deputy was investigating a burglary alarm at a home. The deputy, who has not been identified, was called to another burglary alarm and got into his marked department truck. As he backed out of the house, he struck Linda Baragiola of Placitas and ran her over with the truck’s back tire.
Baragiola died at the hospital.
New Mexico State Police say Baragiola was standing behind the deputy’s truck and was possibly on her cell phone when she was struck.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them
An investigation is ongoing.