SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — A San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy has died after he was punched by a driver after an off-duty traffic accident on New Year’s Eve.
The Sheriff’s Department says Lawrence Falce died Tuesday night in a hospital.
Authorities say the 70-year-old deputy and another driver collided Sunday morning near California State University, San Bernardino.
Both drivers got out of their cars. Authorities say the other driver punched Falce, who suffered a severe head injury and was placed on life support.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Documents used to wiretap Trump ex-adviser Carter Page disclosed
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
He’d been with the Sheriff’s Department for more than three decades.
The other driver was arrested but his name hasn’t been released.