SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — A San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy has died after he was punched by a driver after an off-duty traffic accident on New Year’s Eve.
The Sheriff’s Department says Lawrence Falce died Tuesday night in a hospital.
Authorities say the 70-year-old deputy and another driver collided Sunday morning near California State University, San Bernardino.
Both drivers got out of their cars. Authorities say the other driver punched Falce, who suffered a severe head injury and was placed on life support.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
He’d been with the Sheriff’s Department for more than three decades.
The other driver was arrested but his name hasn’t been released.