BALTIMORE (AP) — The mother of Maryland U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings has died.
A post on the congressman’s Facebook page for re-election says 91-year-old Ruth Elma Cummings died Monday. The post didn’t say what caused her death. She was born in Manning, South Carolina, before her family moved to Baltimore.
The post says Ruth Cummings was the overseer of Victory Prayer Chapel, which she established in her home’s basement before the congregation grew and moved into two churches in Baltimore. The church’s programs include a food pantry, clothing drives, prison and nursing home ministries, and a scholarship fund in honor of her husband, Robert Cummings Sr., who died in 2000.
Ruth Cummings is survived by Rep. Elijah Cummings and his six siblings. A public viewing is scheduled for Friday night in Baltimore.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California's coronavirus strain looks increasingly dangerous: 'The devil is already here'
- Ted Cruz blasts critics, says his wife is upset over text leak in Cancun getaway
- This 105-year-old beat COVID-19. She credits gin-soaked raisins.
- Pfizer, Moderna or maybe J&J? Right now, the best vaccine for you is the one you can get.
- Marjorie Taylor Greene blasted for attacking colleague's transgender child