MOSCOW (AP) — The Russian military says it has conducted a massive test of the nation’s strategic nuclear forces involving multiple missile launches.
The Russian Defense Ministry said Thursday’s maneuvers featured launches of ballistic missiles by the navy’s nuclear submarines from the Barents Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. As part of the drills, long-range bombers also fired cruise missiles, the ministry said, adding that all missiles hit their designated practice targets.
It added that Russia’s early warning system successfully spotted and tracked all launches.
The Defense Ministry noted that the exercise offered a chance to test the chain of command from its main control room down to military units.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
The drills are the latest in a series of Russian war games conducted amid spiraling tensions with the West.