MOSCOW (AP) — The Russian military says it has conducted a massive test of the nation’s strategic nuclear forces involving multiple missile launches.
The Russian Defense Ministry said Thursday’s maneuvers featured launches of ballistic missiles by the navy’s nuclear submarines from the Barents Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. As part of the drills, long-range bombers also fired cruise missiles, the ministry said, adding that all missiles hit their designated practice targets.
It added that Russia’s early warning system successfully spotted and tracked all launches.
The Defense Ministry noted that the exercise offered a chance to test the chain of command from its main control room down to military units.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Idaho wildlife official resigns after killing baboon family
- Interrogation gone wrong, rogue killers: What happened to Saudi journalist?
- Georgia gun store owner shoots, kills armed robbery suspect
- Elizabeth Warren angers prominent Native Americans with politically fraught DNA test
The drills are the latest in a series of Russian war games conducted amid spiraling tensions with the West.