SYDNEY (AP) — Seventeen kangaroos have died after being deliberately run down by a driver in Australia, an animal welfare group said Monday.
The carcasses of 16 kangaroos were found Monday along a 100-meter (300-foot) stretch of road in the eastern city of Brisbane, said Michael Beatty, a spokesman for the RSPCA in Queensland state. Another kangaroo had to be euthanized because of its injuries. Many of the animals were young, Beatty said.
“They’ve definitely been deliberately run over,” Beatty said. “You can quite clearly see the tire tracks where they’ve gone off the road to hit them.”
The group has asked for any witnesses to come forward with information.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says 'lives will be saved'
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- To catch a snake: Largest python found in Everglades signals a threat
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade