BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romanian authorities said Monday they are probing the death of a man who sustained injuries during an anti-government protest that left 450 people seeking medical treatment.
Police said the 62-year-old man died early Monday in a hospital in southern Romania where he was being treated for internal bleeding.
Hospital director Valentina Roibu called for the probe to avoid suspicions surrounding the cause of death. The man was hospitalized last week, suffering bleeding and vomiting.
The Department for Emergency Situations later said the man had pre-existing conditions, including high blood pressure. A statement said he sought medical help for a nosebleed during the riot, but had refused to be hospitalized.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Police fired tear gas and water cannons during the Aug. 10 protest, which gathered tens of thousands of people protesting recent government moves to change laws that critics say will weaken efforts to fight graft. About 300 people have filed police complaints, saying too much force was used.
Interior Minister Carmen Dan apologized Sunday to riot police and protesters injured during the clash.
She said, however, that the ministry had identified up to 1,000 people who committed acts of violence during the protest, such as lobbing bottles and stones at police.
Romanians have regularly held anti-corruption protests since the Social Democrats won election in 2016.