ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — The issue of student hunger complicated the decision to close Rochester, New York schools because of the weather.
WHEC says the school district has a high poverty rate. For many kids, the only hot meal they get is at school.
To accommodate those students and their families, six recreation centers are serving breakfast and lunch on Friday. They’re also being used as warming sites.
The district worked on those plans before announcing its snow day.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
Information from: WHEC-TV, http://www.10nbc.com