ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — The issue of student hunger complicated the decision to close Rochester, New York schools because of the weather.
WHEC says the school district has a high poverty rate. For many kids, the only hot meal they get is at school.
To accommodate those students and their families, six recreation centers are serving breakfast and lunch on Friday. They’re also being used as warming sites.
The district worked on those plans before announcing its snow day.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
Information from: WHEC-TV, http://www.10nbc.com