ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — The issue of student hunger complicated the decision to close Rochester, New York schools because of the weather.
WHEC says the school district has a high poverty rate. For many kids, the only hot meal they get is at school.
To accommodate those students and their families, six recreation centers are serving breakfast and lunch on Friday. They’re also being used as warming sites.
The district worked on those plans before announcing its snow day.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
Information from: WHEC-TV, http://www.10nbc.com