KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Roadside bombings in Afghanistan killed two Afghan soldiers and four children Wednesday, officials said, as a suspected NATO drone strike killed two militants.
The deadliest attack struck in Kunduz province, where a roadside bomb targeting a local government official instead killed the children and wounded three, said Amanuddin Qurishi, the targeted official.
Near the capital in Kabul province’s Kalakan district, local official Rahmat Khan Faqirzada said a roadside bombing likely triggered by a remote control killed two soldiers and wounded a civilian.
Faqirzada said an investigation is underway to determine who planted the bomb. The Taliban later claimed responsibility for the Kabul blast in a text message to journalists.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Meanwhile in Kunar province, governor’s spokesman Muslim Abdul Ghani said a suspected NATO drone strike on Tuesday morning killed a militant commander and one of his fighters. NATO had no immediate comment on the strike.
The Taliban have stepped up their assaults on Afghan security forces since U.S. and NATO troops ended their combat mission in the country last year. The militants also have launched a series of attacks in Kabul in recent weeks following Afghan authorities announcing the death of the Taliban’s one-eyed leader Mullah Mohammad Omar. Their targets also have included foreign military and civilian convoys.