CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (AP) — A baby seal is back in the ocean following a two-month stay at a Rhode Island rescue clinic.
WLNE-TV reports Mystic Aquarium’s rescue team released the nine-month old harbor seal named Sweet William into the ocean at Blue Shutters Beach Thursday. The seal, which had been rescued in Maine last year, was treated for facial wounds and pneumonia at the aquarium’s clinic.
Officials say the seal gained 21 pounds while it was at the clinic.
Mystic’s rescue program began in 1975. The program is supported by volunteers and public donations.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
The aquarium is preparing for its 5th Annual Seal Splash. Participants venture into the cold waters of the Long Island Sound with proceeds going to the rescue clinic. The event will be held at Eastern Point Beach on Feb. 17.
Information from: WLNE-TV, http://www.abc6.com