CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (AP) — A baby seal is back in the ocean following a two-month stay at a Rhode Island rescue clinic.
WLNE-TV reports Mystic Aquarium’s rescue team released the nine-month old harbor seal named Sweet William into the ocean at Blue Shutters Beach Thursday. The seal, which had been rescued in Maine last year, was treated for facial wounds and pneumonia at the aquarium’s clinic.
Officials say the seal gained 21 pounds while it was at the clinic.
Mystic’s rescue program began in 1975. The program is supported by volunteers and public donations.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hearing sets up dramatic showdown between Kavanaugh, accuser WATCH
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Noah's Ark except it's a school bus: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- Soon-Yi Previn defends husband Woody Allen, attacks mother
The aquarium is preparing for its 5th Annual Seal Splash. Participants venture into the cold waters of the Long Island Sound with proceeds going to the rescue clinic. The event will be held at Eastern Point Beach on Feb. 17.
Information from: WLNE-TV, http://www.abc6.com