CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (AP) — A baby seal is back in the ocean following a two-month stay at a Rhode Island rescue clinic.
WLNE-TV reports Mystic Aquarium’s rescue team released the nine-month old harbor seal named Sweet William into the ocean at Blue Shutters Beach Thursday. The seal, which had been rescued in Maine last year, was treated for facial wounds and pneumonia at the aquarium’s clinic.
Officials say the seal gained 21 pounds while it was at the clinic.
Mystic’s rescue program began in 1975. The program is supported by volunteers and public donations.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- Sanders goes on offensive defending credibility after report
- A portrait of the White House and its culture of chaos, dishonesty VIEW
- Man angry about virginity pleads guilty to threatening women
The aquarium is preparing for its 5th Annual Seal Splash. Participants venture into the cold waters of the Long Island Sound with proceeds going to the rescue clinic. The event will be held at Eastern Point Beach on Feb. 17.
Information from: WLNE-TV, http://www.abc6.com