CHARLESTOWN, R.I. (AP) — A baby seal is back in the ocean following a two-month stay at a Rhode Island rescue clinic.
WLNE-TV reports Mystic Aquarium’s rescue team released the nine-month old harbor seal named Sweet William into the ocean at Blue Shutters Beach Thursday. The seal, which had been rescued in Maine last year, was treated for facial wounds and pneumonia at the aquarium’s clinic.
Officials say the seal gained 21 pounds while it was at the clinic.
Mystic’s rescue program began in 1975. The program is supported by volunteers and public donations.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
The aquarium is preparing for its 5th Annual Seal Splash. Participants venture into the cold waters of the Long Island Sound with proceeds going to the rescue clinic. The event will be held at Eastern Point Beach on Feb. 17.
Information from: WLNE-TV, http://www.abc6.com