RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia state House Speaker William Howell is recovering from emergency heart surgery.
Spokesman Matthew Moran said Howell had surgery Tuesday evening after experiencing chest pains.
Moran said Howell is set to spend a few days recovering in the intensive care unit at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.
The 74-year-old Howell announced his retirement last year and his term in office ends next week when the 2018 legislative session begins.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- GOP, Kavanaugh accuser in standoff over her Senate testimony WATCH
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- Memory's frailty may be playing role in Kavanaugh matter
- In 1992, Cory Booker admitted to groping a high school classmate and issued a call for sexual respect