RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia state House Speaker William Howell is recovering from emergency heart surgery.
Spokesman Matthew Moran said Howell had surgery Tuesday evening after experiencing chest pains.
Moran said Howell is set to spend a few days recovering in the intensive care unit at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.
The 74-year-old Howell announced his retirement last year and his term in office ends next week when the 2018 legislative session begins.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW