RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia state House Speaker William Howell is recovering from emergency heart surgery.
Spokesman Matthew Moran said Howell had surgery Tuesday evening after experiencing chest pains.
Moran said Howell is set to spend a few days recovering in the intensive care unit at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.
The 74-year-old Howell announced his retirement last year and his term in office ends next week when the 2018 legislative session begins.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Americans, Canadians are warned not to eat romaine lettuce VIEW
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie