RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia state House Speaker William Howell is recovering from emergency heart surgery.
Spokesman Matthew Moran said Howell had surgery Tuesday evening after experiencing chest pains.
Moran said Howell is set to spend a few days recovering in the intensive care unit at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.
The 74-year-old Howell announced his retirement last year and his term in office ends next week when the 2018 legislative session begins.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Obama delivers veiled rebuke to Trump in Mandela address WATCH