JACKSON, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities say a retired firefighter has died in a house fire in Tennessee.
Madison County Fire Department Chief Eric Turner told the Jackson Sun that 72-year-old Joe Collins was killed in a house fire on Monday morning. Collins was a retired Jackson firefighter who had lived in the home for over 30 years.
Turner says the department received a call around 6 a.m., and that firefighters located the victim during a primary search of the home.
Officials believe the fire was caused by an electrical failure of a multi-plug outlet located in the living room.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Investigators confirmed that the home was equipped with a working smoke alarm. Officials say there was no indication of foul play and all information leans toward an accidental fire.
Information from: The Jackson Sun, http://www.jacksonsun.com