BUTTE, Mont. (AP) — Authorities say flares found inside a Butte home were mistaken for sticks of dynamite, causing evacuations of the immediate area.
The Montana Standard reports residents called police Wednesday afternoon after discovering the flares inside the basement of the house.
The Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department says nearby residents were asked to leave the area as firefighters entered the home to locate the suspected dynamite.
Officials say an explosives contractor for a mining supplies company examined the sticks that were wrapped in old newspaper. He discovered they were labeled as a brand of car flares.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Authorities cleared the scene less than an hour after arriving.
Information from: The Montana Standard, http://www.mtstandard.com