BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (AP) — Rescuers are trying to save a small pod of whales that beached Monday off Indonesia’s Aceh province.
The head of Aceh’s marine and fisheries office, Nur Mahdi, said 10 whales were stranded at Ujong Kareng beach and attracted hundreds of onlookers who posed for pictures with them.
He said five were refloated hours later and led out to sea with boats. Rescuers are trying to treat two injured whales and refloat the others, he said.
Mahdi said whale pods follow a group leader and beach if the leader swims too close to shore due to sickness or other reasons.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
Police are trying to keep people away while rescuers work with the whales, which are about 15 meters (yards) from shore.
A sperm whale was found dead on an Aceh beach last year after apparently being washed ashore in stormy weather.