BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (AP) — Rescuers are trying to save a small pod of whales that beached Monday off Indonesia’s Aceh province.
The head of Aceh’s marine and fisheries office, Nur Mahdi, said 10 whales were stranded at Ujong Kareng beach and attracted hundreds of onlookers who posed for pictures with them.
He said five were refloated hours later and led out to sea with boats. Rescuers are trying to treat two injured whales and refloat the others, he said.
Mahdi said whale pods follow a group leader and beach if the leader swims too close to shore due to sickness or other reasons.
Most Read Stories
- WSU QB Tyler Hilinski, 21, dies from an apparent suicide
- Take it from me, WSU athlete's death is a reminder that help is available | Matt Calkins
- Apple banks on tax break to build 2nd campus, hire 20,000
- Police investigate reported gang rape of teen in Ballard park
- Is Seattle’s homeless crisis the worst in the country?
Police are trying to keep people away while rescuers work with the whales, which are about 15 meters (yards) from shore.
A sperm whale was found dead on an Aceh beach last year after apparently being washed ashore in stormy weather.