TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — A Tucson newspaper and one of its reporters have been subpoenaed by attorneys for a former University of Arizona assistant track and field coach sent to prison for assaulting a female student-athlete.
Craig Carter was sentenced May 14 to five years in prison after being convicted in March of aggravated assault and assault with a dangerous instrument.
The 50-year-old Carter admitted to authorities that he choked the woman and threatened her with a box cutter in 2015 when she wanted to end their relationship.
Carter’s lawyers want an Arizona Daily Star reporter to produce all notes and communication related to their client’s legal battles dating to April 2015.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry,’ Alex Jones tells Sandy Hook families in court
- 10 tips for coexisting with COVID (and living a normal-ish life)
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- Career prosecutors recommend no charges for Gaetz in sex-trafficking probe
The Star reports that an attorney for the newspaper will file a motion in court to quash the subpoena.
Information from: Arizona Daily Star, http://www.tucson.com