HIALEAH, Fla. (AP) — A South Florida landlord is accused of fatally shooting a tenant following an argument over rent.
Police say that late Saturday, 76-year-old Reineiro Espino Caballero went to collect the $550 that 46-year-old Ramon Emilo Gutierrez Castillo still owed him for this April.
Local news outlets report that after the two men argued, Castillo went back into his efficiency apartment and locked the sliding glass door to prevent the landlord from coming inside.
According to police, the landlord went to his adjacent residence, got a gun and returned to Castillo’s apartment. There, he shot through the glass, shattering it. A physical confrontation ensued and the landlord shot the tenant in the face.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Justices side with doctors convicted in pain pill schemes
Caballero is charged with first-degree murder and armed burglary. Records don’t indicate whether he’s hired a lawyer.