AMES, Iowa (AP) — Relatives of the 22-year-old Iowa man charged in the stabbing death of a top amateur golfer from Spain say they’re “devastated by the tragedy.”
Collin Richards’ family released a statement Thursday saying their “thoughts and prayers” are with the family and friends of Iowa State University student Celia Barquin Arozamena, whose body was found Monday in a golf course pond.
Richards is charged with first-degree murder in Barquin’s death.
Officers found Barquin’s body in the pond near the ninth hole at a public golf course in Ames. Police later arrested Richards, who had been living in a homeless encampment near the course.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
Richards grew up in small towns in western Iowa, and has a history of violence and substance abuse.