AMES, Iowa (AP) — Relatives of the 22-year-old Iowa man charged in the stabbing death of a top amateur golfer from Spain say they’re “devastated by the tragedy.”
Collin Richards’ family released a statement Thursday saying their “thoughts and prayers” are with the family and friends of Iowa State University student Celia Barquin Arozamena, whose body was found Monday in a golf course pond.
Richards is charged with first-degree murder in Barquin’s death.
Officers found Barquin’s body in the pond near the ninth hole at a public golf course in Ames. Police later arrested Richards, who had been living in a homeless encampment near the course.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dog that survived California wildfire and guarded home for weeks is reunited with owner WATCH
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
- Michelle Obama lights up Internet with frank criticism of Facebook exec's 'lean in' mantra
- Pence aide out of running to be Trump's next chief of staff VIEW
- Drug firm can’t keep up with demand for shingles vaccine
Richards grew up in small towns in western Iowa, and has a history of violence and substance abuse.