AMES, Iowa (AP) — Relatives of the 22-year-old Iowa man charged in the stabbing death of a top amateur golfer from Spain say they’re “devastated by the tragedy.”
Collin Richards’ family released a statement Thursday saying their “thoughts and prayers” are with the family and friends of Iowa State University student Celia Barquin Arozamena, whose body was found Monday in a golf course pond.
Richards is charged with first-degree murder in Barquin’s death.
Officers found Barquin’s body in the pond near the ninth hole at a public golf course in Ames. Police later arrested Richards, who had been living in a homeless encampment near the course.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Several powerful earthquakes strike off the shore of Canada
- Trump administration eyes defining transgender out of existence
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- 4 Americans among 5 dead in Costa Rica rafting accident
- Leaked video shows Khashoggi 'body double' after killing VIEW
Richards grew up in small towns in western Iowa, and has a history of violence and substance abuse.