AMES, Iowa (AP) — Relatives of the 22-year-old Iowa man charged in the stabbing death of a top amateur golfer from Spain say they’re “devastated by the tragedy.”
Collin Richards’ family released a statement Thursday saying their “thoughts and prayers” are with the family and friends of Iowa State University student Celia Barquin Arozamena, whose body was found Monday in a golf course pond.
Richards is charged with first-degree murder in Barquin’s death.
Officers found Barquin’s body in the pond near the ninth hole at a public golf course in Ames. Police later arrested Richards, who had been living in a homeless encampment near the course.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
Richards grew up in small towns in western Iowa, and has a history of violence and substance abuse.