LAS VEGAS (AP) — As the federal government shut down, so did Red Rock Canyon. Sort of.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the scenic loop at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area opened later than usual Sunday.
Entry was free, but facilities were closed.
The main entrance gates remained locked after the normal 6 a.m. opening time.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- 3 babies, 2 adults stabbed at home that police suspect was a ‘birth tourism’ site
- Mormons to stay outdoors after split with Boy Scouts
Land officials say visitors services would stay closed all day and remain so until the shutdown ends.
Congress sped toward reopening the government Monday, as Senate Democrats dropped their objections to a temporary funding bill in return for assurances from Republicans that they will take up immigration and other issues.
Before the government can reopen, the Senate must vote on final passage, the House must approve in turn, and President Donald Trump must sign the measure.
Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, http://www.lvrj.com