BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Officials say a recently retired firefighter walked past a house fire in Louisiana and rescued a child from inside.
Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release that the fire that occurred Monday was the result of a faulty refrigerator.
News outlets report residents of the house told responders they were about to leave when they heard a loud noise. Miles says one of the children went to see what the noise was and discovered the fire.
The girl tried to run but fell inside the house. The retired Baton Rouge firefighter spotted the fire, ran inside and rescued the girl.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
According to the department, three people live in the house, and no one was injured. Officials say the house received heavy fire and smoke damage.