BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Officials say a recently retired firefighter walked past a house fire in Louisiana and rescued a child from inside.
Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release that the fire that occurred Monday was the result of a faulty refrigerator.
News outlets report residents of the house told responders they were about to leave when they heard a loud noise. Miles says one of the children went to see what the noise was and discovered the fire.
The girl tried to run but fell inside the house. The retired Baton Rouge firefighter spotted the fire, ran inside and rescued the girl.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
According to the department, three people live in the house, and no one was injured. Officials say the house received heavy fire and smoke damage.