BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Officials say a recently retired firefighter walked past a house fire in Louisiana and rescued a child from inside.
Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release that the fire that occurred Monday was the result of a faulty refrigerator.
News outlets report residents of the house told responders they were about to leave when they heard a loud noise. Miles says one of the children went to see what the noise was and discovered the fire.
The girl tried to run but fell inside the house. The retired Baton Rouge firefighter spotted the fire, ran inside and rescued the girl.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
According to the department, three people live in the house, and no one was injured. Officials say the house received heavy fire and smoke damage.