COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a convict who escaped from a maximum security prison using equipment flown into the facility by drone is now being held in South Carolina’s highest security facility.
Online records showed Jimmy Causey was being held Thursday in a lockdown unit at Kirkland Correctional Institution in Columbia.
Authorities say Causey used wire cutters apparently brought in via drone and coordinated with others by cellphone to escape from the Lieber Correctional Institution near Charleston. He was on the run for three days before being captured last week in Austin, Texas.
He escaped from a different prison in 2005 by hiding in a trash truck.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
Causey was returned to South Carolina on Wednesday after being extradited from Texas.