MOSCOW (AP) — President Vladimir Putin says Russia will continue to develop nuclear weapons but doesn’t intend to use them.
The Russian leader made the comment in a documentary called “World Order” that was aired on state television Sunday night.
“Russia as a leading nuclear country will be improving this weapon as a containment factor; the nuclear triad is the basis of our nuclear security polices,” he said, referring to the three main delivery systems for nuclear warheads — bombers, intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched ICBMs.
“We have never brandished or will brandish this nuclear club, but our military doctrine allocates it a place and role,” he said, according to excerpts reported by the state news agency Tass.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Florida middle school killer dies in prison at 31
- Sheriff: Girl shoots 3 at Idaho school; teacher disarms her
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol