MOSCOW (AP) — President Vladimir Putin says Russia will continue to develop nuclear weapons but doesn’t intend to use them.
The Russian leader made the comment in a documentary called “World Order” that was aired on state television Sunday night.
“Russia as a leading nuclear country will be improving this weapon as a containment factor; the nuclear triad is the basis of our nuclear security polices,” he said, referring to the three main delivery systems for nuclear warheads — bombers, intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched ICBMs.
“We have never brandished or will brandish this nuclear club, but our military doctrine allocates it a place and role,” he said, according to excerpts reported by the state news agency Tass.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- Hawaii police arrest couple who boarded flight despite testing positive for coronavirus
- New Orleans swingers event becomes 'superspreader' after 41 test positive for coronavirus
- Some 2-week coronavirus quarantines can be cut to 10 or 7 days, CDC says
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events