ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida police officer who was the first on the scene of a deadly nightclub massacre will be a guest at the State of the Union address.
The Orlando Sentinel reports Orlando Police officer Adam Gruler will be joined by his wife Jaimi, a teacher with Florida Virtual School, at President Trump’s speech.
Gruler was the first officer to confront the gunman, who killed 49 people on June 12, 2016.
Since the shooting, the Grulers have been focused on growing their family. Last year, on National Adoption Day, the couple adopted three children, growing their family from six to nine.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/