ASBURY PARK, N.J. (AP) — Investigators in New Jersey are seeking help from the public to identify other suspects in a shooting that killed a 10-year-old boy and wounded his mother.
Prosecutors in Monmouth County say they believe the shooter was aiming at a man who was in the same Asbury Park home as the victims on Wednesday night.
Ten-year-old Yovanni Banos-Merino died shortly after the shooting. His 38-year-old mother was treated at a hospital for undisclosed injuries.
A 16-year-old Neptune Township teenager was charged Thursday with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, aggravated assault and weapons counts.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- Deer could be a reservoir of old coronavirus variants, study suggests
- Goodbye passport stamps, hello biometrics: Customs is getting faster
- Rep. George Santos is stepping down from committees amid fabrications about his biography
- Video shows mysterious whirlpool spiral flying over Hawaii night sky
Prosecutors haven’t said whether the youth is being charged as a juvenile or an adult. They believe he was an accomplice of the shooter, who hasn’t been located.
Officials haven’t disclosed a motive for the shooting.