THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Dutch prosecutors say a 14-year-old boy has confessed to killing his parents with a knife, a double slaying that sent shockwaves through the tiny northern village where they lived and beyond.
The bodies of the couple, reportedly 63 and 62, were discovered Tuesday morning in Katlijk, a rural village with some 600 inhabitants that lies 140 kilometers (87 miles) northeast of Amsterdam. Police detained the son the same evening on suspicion of involvement in the deaths.
Prosecutors said Friday that an investigating judge has agreed to extend the son’s detention by two weeks while investigations continue.
Tjeerd van der Zwan, mayor of nearby Heerenveen, said in a statement this week that, “It goes without saying that an event like this has a profound effect on people.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them
- ID theft, fraud, prison: The wild life of a bishop robbed at the pulpit