NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities say the acting boss of the Bonanno organized crime family and nine others have been charged with racketeering and related crimes.
The charges were announced Friday in a case brought in Manhattan federal court.
Nine of the defendants were arrested early Friday. Charges brought against the men included extortion, loansharking, wire and mail fraud, narcotics distribution and conspiracy to commit murder.
Manhattan federal prosecutors said in a release that those arrested included the Bonanno family acting boss, three captains and three soldiers. Authorities say those charged also included soldiers in the Genovese and Luchese organized crime families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Democrats reject, conservatives deride Trump's 'non-starter' of a border wall deal
- Students in 'MAGA' hats mock Native American after rally VIEW
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- As Democrats vow to investigate Trump, Mueller's office issues rare statement rebuking Cohen report
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is mulling an independent run for president in 2020
Authorities say the defendants have aliases including “Porky,” ”Grumpy,” ”Joe Valet,” ”Butch” and “Joey Blue Eyes.”