NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities say the acting boss of the Bonanno organized crime family and nine others have been charged with racketeering and related crimes.
The charges were announced Friday in a case brought in Manhattan federal court.
Nine of the defendants were arrested early Friday. Charges brought against the men included extortion, loansharking, wire and mail fraud, narcotics distribution and conspiracy to commit murder.
Manhattan federal prosecutors said in a release that those arrested included the Bonanno family acting boss, three captains and three soldiers. Authorities say those charged also included soldiers in the Genovese and Luchese organized crime families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Justice Department releases secret surveillance documents of ex-Trump aide
Authorities say the defendants have aliases including “Porky,” ”Grumpy,” ”Joe Valet,” ”Butch” and “Joey Blue Eyes.”