NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities say the acting boss of the Bonanno organized crime family and nine others have been charged with racketeering and related crimes.
The charges were announced Friday in a case brought in Manhattan federal court.
Nine of the defendants were arrested early Friday. Charges brought against the men included extortion, loansharking, wire and mail fraud, narcotics distribution and conspiracy to commit murder.
Manhattan federal prosecutors said in a release that those arrested included the Bonanno family acting boss, three captains and three soldiers. Authorities say those charged also included soldiers in the Genovese and Luchese organized crime families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Mueller said ready to deliver key findings in his Trump probe
- America's most famous pimp, poised for elected office, dies
- Idaho wildlife official resigns after killing baboon family
- Interrogation gone wrong, rogue killers: What happened to Saudi journalist?
Authorities say the defendants have aliases including “Porky,” ”Grumpy,” ”Joe Valet,” ”Butch” and “Joey Blue Eyes.”