NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities say the acting boss of the Bonanno organized crime family and nine others have been charged with racketeering and related crimes.
The charges were announced Friday in a case brought in Manhattan federal court.
Nine of the defendants were arrested early Friday. Charges brought against the men included extortion, loansharking, wire and mail fraud, narcotics distribution and conspiracy to commit murder.
Manhattan federal prosecutors said in a release that those arrested included the Bonanno family acting boss, three captains and three soldiers. Authorities say those charged also included soldiers in the Genovese and Luchese organized crime families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Ex-policeman charged with decades-old serial killings VIEW
- 'Tase me, and you'll see what happens,' an American Airlines flier said. Police did — 10 times.
- He froze to death inside a multimillion-dollar town house — and now the state is investigating
- A lynching memorial is opening in Alabama. The country has never seen anything like it VIEW
- Bill Cosby: America's Dad convicted of drugging, sex assault VIEW
Authorities say the defendants have aliases including “Porky,” ”Grumpy,” ”Joe Valet,” ”Butch” and “Joey Blue Eyes.”