ANDERSON, Ind. (AP) — A central Indiana prosecutor says he plans to buy a holster after accidentally firing a handgun in his pocket, sending a bullet into the floor of a restaurant.
No one was injured when Madison County Prosecutor Rodney Cummings discharged the weapon inside the Texas Roadhouse in Anderson about 11 p.m. Saturday.
Cummings told The Indianapolis Star (http://indy.st/2aM8WGg ) he believes the safety on the 9mm gun disengaged when he placed the weapon inside a pocket of his shorts. The gun discharged as Cummings walked out the door.
He says he’s had the gun for only a couple of weeks but has carried a firearm for 36 years as both a prosecutor and a police officer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
Cummings said he plans to have the gun examined to ensure there are no mechanical problems.