MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000. That’s the highest amount paid for one of the late rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief.
The guitar was auctioned Saturday. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech, who made 31 guitars for Prince.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
The musician died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com