MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000. That’s the highest amount paid for one of the late rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief.
The guitar was auctioned Saturday. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech, who made 31 guitars for Prince.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Teen shoots girl in Maryland school, killed in confrontation VIEW
- Package bound for Austin explodes at Texas FedEx facility; second package recovered
- Ex-Playboy model sues to break silence on Trump
- White House celebrates birthday as Barron Trump turns 12
- Bones discovered on Pacific island belong to Amelia Earhart, new forensic analysis shows VIEW
The musician died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com