MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000. That’s the highest amount paid for one of the late rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief.
The guitar was auctioned Saturday. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech, who made 31 guitars for Prince.
Most Read Stories
- WSU QB Tyler Hilinski, 21, dies from an apparent suicide
- Take it from me, WSU athlete's death is a reminder that help is available | Matt Calkins
- Apple banks on tax break to build 2nd campus, hire 20,000
- Police investigate reported gang rape of teen in Ballard park
- Is Seattle’s homeless crisis the worst in the country?
The musician died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com