MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000 — the highest amount paid for one of the rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech who made 31 guitars for Prince who died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex in Chanhassen.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- People dumped their pets into lakes, officials say. Now football-size goldfish are taking over.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Free money for all? Mayors hope local tests bring big change
- Man with coronavirus disguises as wife on Indonesian flight
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com