MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000 — the highest amount paid for one of the rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech who made 31 guitars for Prince who died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex in Chanhassen.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The divide in Yakima is the divide in America VIEW
- Amid turmoil, Prince Andrew to step back from royal duties VIEW
- Trump press secretary faces backlash over claim that Obama aides left 'you will fail' notes
- Trump directed Ukraine quid pro quo, key witness says VIEW
- Stop! Don’t charge your phone this way
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com