MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A California auction house says a guitar that Prince used in the late 1980s and into the 1990s has been sold for $700,000 — the highest amount paid for one of the rock star’s guitars.
Julien’s Live auction house, based in Los Angeles, anticipated the teal blue Cloud guitar would be sold for $60,000 to $80,000. Prince donated the guitar in 1994 to benefit Los Angeles earthquake relief. The buyer was not identified.
The Star Tribune reports the guitar has a letter of authenticity from Cloud guitar maker Andy Beech who made 31 guitars for Prince who died in April 2016 from an accidental drug overdose at his Paisley Park complex in Chanhassen.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A North Carolina teen didn't come home. An iPhone app led her mother to a ravine.
- Severed head of prehistoric wolf found in Siberia, perfectly preserved
- High court avoids new case over same-sex wedding cake
- Egypt's ousted president Morsi dies in court during trial VIEW
- High court lets Virginia voting go ahead under redrawn map
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com