MYSTIC, Conn. (AP) — A pregnant manatee that was rescued off Cape Cod has been flown from Connecticut’s Mystic Aquarium to Florida.
The manatee is named Washburn after the island where she was rescued. She was moved Tuesday to SeaWorld in Orlando, where she’ll be cared for until she can be released back into the wild.
Manatees are mammals and are sometimes referred to as sea cows. A spokeswoman for Mystic Aquarium says it’s very rare to see them as far north as New England.
The 800-pound manatee was rescued Sept. 22 as water temperatures were dropping below 67 degrees, too cold for it to survive.
Most Read Stories
- Police: Lynnwood 6-year-old drowned in bathtub by visiting relative
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- Why Seattleites love to hate the umbrella
- Dough Zone opens in Seattle: better than Din Tai Fung?! | Cheap Eats
A U.S. Coast Guard plane took off Tuesday morning from Groton (GRAH’-tuhn), Connecticut, with the manatee and arrived Tuesday afternoon.