MIAMI (AP) — Puerto Rican rapper Daddy Yankee has pledged $1 million to Hurricane Maria relief efforts on his native island.
He was born and raised in Puerto Rico and lives there full time. His real name is Ramon Ayala Rodriguez. He says in a statement he “felt the call” as a Puerto Rican to help.
He says his long-term goal is to “work to ensure that the largest number of families on the island have a safe roof.”
Rodriguez says the money will be split between Feeding America, the American Red Cross, Habitat For Humanity and local organizations. The money comes on top of 10 truckloads of supplies donated by fans at his concerts.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.