ZION, Ill. (AP) — Authorities have identified the suburban Chicago man who was shot by an agent with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Lake County Coroner Dr. Howard Cooper on Friday identified the person as 19-year-old Dishon McBride of Waukegan.
Police in Zion say the agent, who was on duty, told them a group of people approached a vehicle while the agent was inside Thursday morning. Police say one of them who had a bandanna covering his face showed a handgun and the agent fired through the vehicle’s window. The others in the group fled.
Cooper said preliminary autopsy results indicate McBride died from a single gunshot wound. He refused to say where the bullet struck McBride.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
The shooting is being investigated by federal, state and Zion police investigators, with Illinois State Police taking the lead role in the case.