KAUKAUNA, Wis. (AP) — Police in Wisconsin say an elderly woman whose charred remains were found in her car may have caused a fire when she became disoriented and drove over railroad tracks.
Kaukauna police say it could take weeks to confirm the identity of the woman officers found Saturday after reports of a fire.
WLUK-TV reports Tuesday that police said interviews with witnesses led investigators to believe the woman mistook the railroad tracks for the roadway. Investigators say it’s possible the fire started after the car’s tires were flattened and caused sparking between the wheels and tracks.
Police say they found the woman’s skeletal remains after extinguishing the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The Earth is now trapping an 'unprecedented' amount of heat, NASA says
- GOP congressman refuses to shake hands with D.C. police officer who protected the Capitol on Jan. 6, lawmakers say
- Biden signs bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday
- Daredevil dies while attempting record-setting motorcycle jump
- Woman falls to death at indoor climbing gym
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com