KAUKAUNA, Wis. (AP) — Police in Wisconsin say an elderly woman whose charred remains were found in her car may have caused a fire when she became disoriented and drove over railroad tracks.
Kaukauna police say it could take weeks to confirm the identity of the woman officers found Saturday after reports of a fire.
WLUK-TV reports Tuesday that police said interviews with witnesses led investigators to believe the woman mistook the railroad tracks for the roadway. Investigators say it’s possible the fire started after the car’s tires were flattened and caused sparking between the wheels and tracks.
Police say they found the woman’s skeletal remains after extinguishing the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Alaska's most popular national park, climate change threatens the only road in and out
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Woman raped on train as bystanders did nothing, police say
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com