KAUKAUNA, Wis. (AP) — Police in Wisconsin say an elderly woman whose charred remains were found in her car may have caused a fire when she became disoriented and drove over railroad tracks.
Kaukauna police say it could take weeks to confirm the identity of the woman officers found Saturday after reports of a fire.
WLUK-TV reports Tuesday that police said interviews with witnesses led investigators to believe the woman mistook the railroad tracks for the roadway. Investigators say it’s possible the fire started after the car’s tires were flattened and caused sparking between the wheels and tracks.
Police say they found the woman’s skeletal remains after extinguishing the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- Correction: US-Obit-Ocasek story
- Democratic candidates demand Kavanaugh impeachment after new allegation
- Trapped at a waterfall, they sent an SOS message in a water bottle and were rescued
- 8 Years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by Manhattan DA
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com