KAUKAUNA, Wis. (AP) — Police in Wisconsin say an elderly woman whose charred remains were found in her car may have caused a fire when she became disoriented and drove over railroad tracks.
Kaukauna police say it could take weeks to confirm the identity of the woman officers found Saturday after reports of a fire.
WLUK-TV reports Tuesday that police said interviews with witnesses led investigators to believe the woman mistook the railroad tracks for the roadway. Investigators say it’s possible the fire started after the car’s tires were flattened and caused sparking between the wheels and tracks.
Police say they found the woman’s skeletal remains after extinguishing the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Mount Vernon choir went ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens have coronavirus and 2 are dead.
- Coronavirus is mutating and now has 8 strains, doctors say
- The lost month: How a failure to test blinded the U.S. to COVID-19
- Trump just comes out and says it: The GOP is hurt when it's easier to vote
- ‘Local vigilantes’ try to forcibly quarantine out-of-towners spotted on Maine island, officials say
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com