CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina woman has been charged after police say 14 dead cats were found in a suitcase near a trash bin at an apartment complex.
Local news outlets report 41-year-old Aimee Cook of Cornelius was charged Tuesday with 14 felony counts of animal cruelty.
Police say an employee at the complex discovered the suitcase containing the dead kittens and cats. Authorities say the employee recognized one of the dead felines as Cook’s.
Police say Cook told them she was overwhelmed by the cats “due to recent unplanned litters.” Authorities say Cook told officers she tried to relocate the felines to no-kill shelters but was unsuccessful and euthanized them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘Victoria’s Secret Karen’ video: Lawsuits show what viewers didn’t see
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Nebraska mother sentenced to 2 years in prison for giving abortion pills to pregnant daughter
- Jimmy Carter’s final chapter continues with peanut butter ice cream and an upcoming 99th birthday
- Cassidy Hutchinson reappears. She has more Trump stories to tell
It isn’t immediately clear if Cook has an attorney.