CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina woman has been charged after police say 14 dead cats were found in a suitcase near a trash bin at an apartment complex.
Local news outlets report 41-year-old Aimee Cook of Cornelius was charged Tuesday with 14 felony counts of animal cruelty.
Police say an employee at the complex discovered the suitcase containing the dead kittens and cats. Authorities say the employee recognized one of the dead felines as Cook’s.
Police say Cook told them she was overwhelmed by the cats “due to recent unplanned litters.” Authorities say Cook told officers she tried to relocate the felines to no-kill shelters but was unsuccessful and euthanized them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna expand studies of vaccine in kids 5 to 11
It isn’t immediately clear if Cook has an attorney.