LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — Police in Louisiana say officers used a dating app to arrest a man accused of stealing a phone at gunpoint.
The Lafayette Police Department announced in a news release that 27-year-old Leroy Hebert was arrested Tuesday. The Advocate (http://bit.ly/1RFI61X ) reports officers posed as a woman on a dating app and arranged a meeting with Hebert at a Lafayette hotel.
Police say the owner of the stolen phone told authorities he was robbed at gunpoint by two men Monday night. Authorities say the victim was able to access his phone activity online and found a selfie Hebert took on the phone.
Hebert was booked on a count of armed robbery. It isn’t clear if he has an attorney.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Couple finds their luggage is overweight because of stowaway dog
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- When a fisherman pulled in his line, he knew he had 'something weird': A 40-pound alligator gar
- One of the world's toughest COVID quarantine regimes is finally ending
Authorities haven’t identified the second suspect.
Information from: The Advocate, http://theadvocate.com