LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky State Police say a trooper has fatally shot a man who tried to assault him with a weapon.
Police said in a statement that the shooting happened early Monday when police were called to a Whitley County residence where 29-year-old Ronald W. Leach of Jellico, Tennessee, was threatening to harm his 1-year-old child.
The statement said a responding trooper gained entry into the home and Leach tried to assault the trooper with a weapon. The trooper then fired, killing Leach. Police didn’t say what kind of weapon Leach had.
Neither the trooper nor the child was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Spokane-native astronaut Anne McClain is under investigation for alleged space crime
- David Koch, billionaire and industrialist who funded conservatives, dies at 79 VIEW
- Trump's fake accent angers Asian Americans as they veer left
- Trump vows response to China tariffs on $75B of US goods VIEW
- New study calls for screening of family members of celiac-disease patients
The officer was placed on routine leave as police continue to investigate. No further information was immediately released.