LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky State Police say a trooper has fatally shot a man who tried to assault him with a weapon.
Police said in a statement that the shooting happened early Monday when police were called to a Whitley County residence where 29-year-old Ronald W. Leach of Jellico, Tennessee, was threatening to harm his 1-year-old child.
The statement said a responding trooper gained entry into the home and Leach tried to assault the trooper with a weapon. The trooper then fired, killing Leach. Police didn’t say what kind of weapon Leach had.
Neither the trooper nor the child was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
The officer was placed on routine leave as police continue to investigate. No further information was immediately released.