LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky State Police say a trooper has fatally shot a man who tried to assault him with a weapon.
Police said in a statement that the shooting happened early Monday when police were called to a Whitley County residence where 29-year-old Ronald W. Leach of Jellico, Tennessee, was threatening to harm his 1-year-old child.
The statement said a responding trooper gained entry into the home and Leach tried to assault the trooper with a weapon. The trooper then fired, killing Leach. Police didn’t say what kind of weapon Leach had.
Neither the trooper nor the child was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Costco food-sample line, gunfire, death and unanswered questions
- Citing ‘painful’ family situation, Shanahan withdraws as Pentagon nominee
- Scientists record singing by rare right whale for first time WATCH
- Selfies with young bear continued despite warnings; wildlife officials euthanized him
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's boasts, blasts and promises at rally
The officer was placed on routine leave as police continue to investigate. No further information was immediately released.