LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky State Police say a trooper has fatally shot a man who tried to assault him with a weapon.
Police said in a statement that the shooting happened early Monday when police were called to a Whitley County residence where 29-year-old Ronald W. Leach of Jellico, Tennessee, was threatening to harm his 1-year-old child.
The statement said a responding trooper gained entry into the home and Leach tried to assault the trooper with a weapon. The trooper then fired, killing Leach. Police didn’t say what kind of weapon Leach had.
Neither the trooper nor the child was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump Promotes Posts From Racist Twitter Feed
- With restaurants closed, CDC warns of increasingly aggressive rodents looking for new food sources
- Study estimates 24 states still have uncontrolled coronavirus spread
- CDC warns of ‘aggressive’ rats searching for food during shutdowns
- Wealthiest hospitals — including Providence Health System — got billions in bailout for struggling health providers
The officer was placed on routine leave as police continue to investigate. No further information was immediately released.