TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama have filed murder charges in the death of a store clerk who authorities say was killed while trying to stop the theft of beer.
Tuscaloosa authorities say 32-year-old Dewan Latrell Hampton and 52-year-old Michael Wayne Burrell are charged in the death of 56-year-old Shelia Corley Britton.
Police say two men stole three 12-packs of beer worth $45 from a convenience store where Britton was working late Sunday. Britton suffered severe head injuries while attempting to stop the alleged getaway car.
Britton was taken off life support late Thursday, and the two men were arrested on Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Court records aren’t available to show whether Hampton or Burrell has a lawyer who could speak on their behalf.