VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) — A man who was visiting his elderly mother in an assisted living facility on Sunday shot and killed her, and then turned the gun on himself, authorities said.
Police were called to Genesis HealthCare Voorhees Center in Voorhees around 5:45 p.m. Sunday.
George Buller III, 62, of Lumberton, had been visiting with his mother, Andree Buller, 85, according to the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office. Police had said the two ate dinner together shortly after 4:30 p.m. and then George Buller III went to his car after dinner. When he returned, police said, he shot his mother.
They said a facility worker walked in as Buller shot and killed himself.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- A mysterious, devastating brain disorder afflicts dozens in one Canadian province
- Greene searched Capitol office building for Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, 2019 video shows
- One of the world’s longest-running experiments sends up sprouts
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Voorhees Deputy Police Chief Bill Donnelly said the facility’s staff is “pretty shaken up” and that they “did their job well.”
Nobody else was hurt in the shooting.
The facility is home to patients receiving short- and long-term care and those receiving cardiac management and dementia and Alzheimer’s care. Genesis is based in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. It operates more than 500 centers in the country.
Authorities are continuing to investigate the shooting. Anyone with information is asked to contact Camden County Prosecutor’s Office.
This story has been corrected to show the last name of the mother and son is Buller.