SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Police say officers shot and killed a Salt Lake City man after authorities were called to a domestic violence situation.
The Deseret News reports 32-year-old Delorean Pikyavit died from his injuries Wednesday following the shooting outside a Salt Lake City home.
Police Sgt. Brandon Shearer says officers approached Pikyavit, and he ran back into the house.
Shearer says a SWAT team and negotiators were called as officers did not know if a hostage was inside. Pikyavit exited the house and approached officers about an hour later.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Trump executive nears plea deal with Manhattan prosecutors
Shearer says Pikyavit’s “actions caused the officers to respond, at which time the suspect was shot.”
Police did not say what those actions were and if he was armed.
West Valley police are investigating the shooting.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com