BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man was arrested after a police officer mistakenly listed him as the accused rather than a witness to a DUI case.
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reports 28-year-old Adam Thornton called 911 when he witnessed the March 11 accident.
Five months later, Thornton witnessed another crash, called 911, provided a statement to a deputy and even helped clean up the debris. As he was leaving, a Manatee County Sheriff’s sergeant asked if he knew there was a warrant for his arrest.
The initial police report listed Thornton as the accused rather than the other driver, who was also named Adam. Thornton was taken to jail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- High-tech degrees and the price of an avocado: The data New York gave to Amazon
- Bombshell book alleges a Vatican gay subculture, hypocrisy
Prosecutors have signed a motion to correct the court record.
Even with the mix-up, Thornton says he wouldn’t hesitate to get involved if he witnesses another crash.