BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man was arrested after a police officer mistakenly listed him as the accused rather than a witness to a DUI case.
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reports 28-year-old Adam Thornton called 911 when he witnessed the March 11 accident.
Five months later, Thornton witnessed another crash, called 911, provided a statement to a deputy and even helped clean up the debris. As he was leaving, a Manatee County Sheriff’s sergeant asked if he knew there was a warrant for his arrest.
The initial police report listed Thornton as the accused rather than the other driver, who was also named Adam. Thornton was taken to jail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump campaign selling email and phone lists for millions of supporters
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- Kushner paid almost no taxes for years, documents show
- Warren DNA analysis points to Native American heritage
Prosecutors have signed a motion to correct the court record.
Even with the mix-up, Thornton says he wouldn’t hesitate to get involved if he witnesses another crash.