BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man was arrested after a police officer mistakenly listed him as the accused rather than a witness to a DUI case.
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reports 28-year-old Adam Thornton called 911 when he witnessed the March 11 accident.
Five months later, Thornton witnessed another crash, called 911, provided a statement to a deputy and even helped clean up the debris. As he was leaving, a Manatee County Sheriff’s sergeant asked if he knew there was a warrant for his arrest.
The initial police report listed Thornton as the accused rather than the other driver, who was also named Adam. Thornton was taken to jail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Serial killer who took 10 women's lives executed in Florida
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- 3 dead, state capital battered as storms rake Missouri VIEW
Prosecutors have signed a motion to correct the court record.
Even with the mix-up, Thornton says he wouldn’t hesitate to get involved if he witnesses another crash.