LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, Md. (AP) — Anne Arundel County Police have identified a Baltimore police officer who shot and killed a man he said tried to rob him with what turned out to be a toy gun.
Police spokesman Lt. Ryan Frashure said in a news release Monday that Baltimore Officer John Bilheimer shot and killed 32-year-old Edel Cato Moreland early Saturday.
Frashure says Moreland confronted Bilheimer in Linthicum Heights, pulled a gun and announced a robbery. Officers say Bilheimer, who was off-duty and not in uniform, shot Moreland with his service weapon. Moreland was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police say the weapon found at the scene was a realistic-looking toy gun.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine,' woman says fiancé texted before he died of COVID-19
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Two travelers submitted fake vaccination cards before flying to Toronto. Each was fined nearly $16,000.
- Here's what we know about the delta-plus variant
Frashure says an autopsy showed Moreland was shot four times.
Bilheimer, an 18-year veteran with the special operations section, is on administrative leave, Frashure says.