PENDLETON, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky authorities are investigating how an explosive device wound up in a trash can at a truck stop in Henry County.
Kentucky State Police say an employee of the truck stop contacted authorities Sunday after seeing what appeared to be a 6-inch-long pipe bomb in a trash can outside the store.
State police say the building was evacuated and the surrounding area was cordoned off as a safety precaution. Police say the device later was “rendered safe” and the truck stop reopened.
Police say they have opened a case for use of a weapon of mass destruction, which is a felony. Police say no suspects have been identified.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘Victoria’s Secret Karen’ video: Lawsuits show what viewers didn’t see
- FEMA plans to test national alert system on Oct. 4
- Human body found in the mouth of 14-foot Florida alligator
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- David Brooks and the $78 airport meal the internet is talking about