WHEELING, W.Va. (AP) — Police in West Virginia say they have arrested two people who took the bait by trying to steal an empty Christmas package that officers planted on someone’s porch.
According to The Intelligencer , Wheeling Police say that all 37-year-old Scott Ruttencutter and 29-year-old Casey Higgs found when they opened the box was a piece of paper that said, “Merry Christmas, Wheeling Police Department.”
The two were charged with theft in the Dec. 20 rendition of what police are calling “Operation Porch Pirates.”
Police say the operation of leaving packages on porches took place for a week and a half leading up to Christmas, with officers committing more than 40 hours of surveillance.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- As some Democrats grow impatient with Biden, alternative voices emerge
- Trump White House counsel Cipollone to testify to 1/6 panel
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
Information from: The Intelligencer, http://www.theintelligencer.net