LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani police say a man shot dead his sister and her daughter in a so-called “honor killing” in the eastern city of Lahore.
Police official Abid Memon says the man’s sister angered him by marrying again after being divorced three times. When she went to his home to retrieve her daughter, who was living with him, he killed both women.
The official says the suspect, identified as Mohammad Shahzad, feared his sister would be a bad influence on her daughter. He says Shahzad is currently at large.
Nearly 1,000 women are killed in Pakistan each year for violating conservative norms on love, marriage and public behavior.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- As some Democrats grow impatient with Biden, alternative voices emerge
- Trump White House counsel Cipollone to testify to 1/6 panel
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats