ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say an armed man was fatally shot during a confrontation with Florida police officers.
Orlando police Deputy Chief Eric Smith said during a news conference that the shooting occurred Wednesday morning.
Police say the armed man went to a Wahlburgers restaurant in downtown Orlando, raised a handgun and then left. Officials say someone at the restaurant had a domestic violence injunction against the man. Employees and customers called 911.
Smith says officers responded and encountered the suspect nearby. Police say officers gave repeated commands for the man to drop his weapon before opening fire. The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Police weren’t immediately releasing the names or races of the suspect or officers involved. Police also weren’t saying how many officers fired their weapons.