ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say an armed man was fatally shot during a confrontation with Florida police officers.
Orlando police Deputy Chief Eric Smith said during a news conference that the shooting occurred Wednesday morning.
Police say the armed man went to a Wahlburgers restaurant in downtown Orlando, raised a handgun and then left. Officials say someone at the restaurant had a domestic violence injunction against the man. Employees and customers called 911.
Smith says officers responded and encountered the suspect nearby. Police say officers gave repeated commands for the man to drop his weapon before opening fire. The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Police weren’t immediately releasing the names or races of the suspect or officers involved. Police also weren’t saying how many officers fired their weapons.