BEAVERTON, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say police shot an armed man who made suicidal statements and shot at officers during a standoff in Beaverton.
Beaverton Police Department spokesman Jeremy Shaw says officers responded to the man, who was inside a vehicle, Wednesday morning.
Shaw says officers including those from a crisis team communicated with the man for more than two hours through text messages. He says the man was making suicidal statements and didn’t really want to talk to authorities.
Shaw says the man fired at officers at around 1:45 p.m., and “an officer-involved shooting” followed. Shaw says the man was injured, treated on the scene and taken to a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Betsy DeVos compares Joe Biden touching her forehead to sexual harassment under Title IX
Nearby schools were locked down during the incident.
No further details were released.
A major crimes team is investigating.